It is thought that the name of the town comes from the local dialect word Lezza, aholm oak species typical of the south. In support of this thesis is the emblem of Lizzano, represented by a broken-tied holm oak tree, with the Latin inscription "ET FRACTA LIGATED REFLORET", surmounted by a ducal crown. According to the tradition, Lizzanobecame a settlement because of the willingness of Albira, daughter of Tancredi, a Norman Count. The presence of settlers and many monastic settlements in the area suggest that Lizzano has been settled between IX e X century.Still nowadays, proves proving the origins of the settlement are located in the peripheral area of the town. The church of the Annunciation, with the hypogeum crypt, dating back to the Lombard period, the Basilian crypt located in the district of Serra degli Angeli on a hill called Monte S. Angelo, have been visited as worship placesin the subsequent historical epochs.
Historic center of Lizzano: the itinerary
In Lizzano the walk starts from Largo Crocefisso where it is located the CHAPEL(1) close to the Norman Castle. The church is covered with a natural layer of white lime having a simple architectural elementsinspired by the Mediterranean style
Our excursioncontinues in Largo Rosariowhere it can be visited the CHURCH OF THE ROSARY (2). The church is located in the old part of the town; it was built in the year 1562. On the left side of the church, the arches which support the Norman castle were built after the 1743 earthquake.
Turning right on the 125 provincial road, we can meet the palace or castle called PALAZZO MARCHESALE or CASTELLO(3). According to some scholars it was built on ancient Normanruins by Baron Family De Raho around the XVI century, afterwards it was modernized. Nowadays only the modernized tower remains from the original structure. The whole architectural design is not in harmonyand it reveals that the whole work has to be dated back to the fifteenth century. It can be deduced also becausethe castles built in the previous centuries had towers, moats, and walls which are missing elements of Palazzo Marchesale. The structure had a quadrangle base having mill, granary, storehouse and stables located to the ground floor, and a chapel dedicated to St. Francis of Paola which has been deconsecrate.
In the square calledPiazza Plebiscitothere is the CLOCK TOWER (4) the architectural structure reminds the shape of a castle’s tower, in fact it has been associated to a sighting and defensive fortified tower, crowned by corbels and drains, defensive elements.
Proceeding towards the square called Piazza IV Novembre we meet the MUSEUM OF MAN AND PALEOLOGY (5) which describes the evolution of life through a huge number of fossils and archeological findsto be dated back to six hundred million years ago, and other finds from the Neolithic to the Middle Ages.
Arriving in Largo Chiesa we meet the MOTHER CHURCH (6) dedicated to St. Nicholas. The church was builtcertainly before the year 1500. Thanks to the bill of sale of the landed estate of Lizzano bought by the Marquis Chyurlia, it has been discovered that the old Mother church dedicated to St. Nicholas of Bari already existed hundreds of years before.Versione Italiana